I will start with the group that charge less. Here are the reasons why they charge less:
- They charge less because it isn't their full-time job are easier to understand because they have another job which is bringing food on the table. They can afford to charge below the market rates because most only wants pocket money.
- They charge less because they are less experienced, it is understandable because they don't have enough skills to charge higher fees. They are still learning the craft of creating websites. Even if they find jobs, they will earn low salaries anyway.
- They may charge less because are very experienced website designers who have worked for bigger companies for years and have already proven themselves in the industry. They know what they are doing. Most have just resigned to become independent. They will charge less not because they can afford to live on a shoestring budget, but because they are trying to build clientele database. Problem is that they end up not making enough money to keep lights on and they go out of business and go back to full-time employment to recover.
- Some charge less because they simply don't value their own time. They do it for fun and are less likely to care about delivering value to your business.
Then we have an elite group that charges more. They charge more because they offer more than just a website. They build websites that do business. They build websites that help your business to make more money. They have perfected the art of web design and development and they understand that a website does more than just display information.
Here are some of the reasons why this elite group use to justify their higher prices:
- They operate from office and they have office bills to pay. If they charge less, they will be out of business soon.
- They charge more because they don't focus on delivering a website that looks beautiful in the eyes of their customers, but they focus on creating a website that clients of that business will find useful.
- They charge more because they also make sure your website can be searchable on major search engines and they give you advice on how to make it to the first page.
- They also make sure that they help you track your visitors and can give you advice on what changes you need to make in order to make your website more useful.
- They don't create a simple website, but an online brand for your company.
- They charge more because they create usable websites that doesn't confuse customers.
The elite group doesn't charge per hour in most cases, they charge based on value they are going to deliver to your business. They understand that a website isn't just a collection of links, graphics and text, but an online brand for your company. They spend more time evaluating your needs and coming up with a strategy that can best serve those needs, and they deliver on those needs.
It is very important to know which kind of a designer you are dealing with. If you have a tight budget and your website won't need much modifications in future, it is always safer to look for a group that charges less but are experienced.
In the end, the choice is yours, whether to go for the cheap ones and get a collection of links, graphics and text, or go with the elite ones that create more than a website.
Just like everything in life, you get what you pay for. Don't expect to get a Rolls-Royce at a price of a small budget car like an OPEL Corsa. Also make sure you don't buy an OPEL Corsa at a price of a Rolls-Royce. They are many designers who claim to know what they are doing and charge more and deliver less. You will see them because they will start charging you before even understanding your business requirements.